Monday, August 10, 2015

August Decluttering

Believe it or not, I follow a blog that is "52 weeks to decluttering your life".
Last week's task was easy...declutter my purse.
Yep, life is that uneventful that I am sharing purse organization with you. How often do you clean out your purse?
You can tell alot about a person by what is in their purse. The object of my cleaning is to make my purse as light as possible.
Do you remember that old TV show, "Let's Make a Deal" where Monty would reward the first person in the audience for pulling a "?" out of their purse? Most likely I will not have it in my purse. Now Mom on the other hand would be the perfect contestant! Aren't there just certain people that you can count on for that kleenex or bandaid if you need it?
First step is to remove everything.
Don't you dread those huge sacks where everything falls into the bottom and you are sitting at a stop sign trying to feel for your lipstick only to pull out a pen? Again and again? Separate the essentials from the nonessentials.

Throw away your trash. 
Gather that loose change.
Remove the excesses. How many lipsticks do you need? How many pens? That piece of gum falling out of its wrapper. Pitch it.
Set up zones. I have to buy a purse with zones.
Outside zipper pocket holds my receipts and coupons and lists. Pull out the expired coupons. Organize your receipts only keeping the ones in your purse that might be needed for a return. The old grocery receipts or restaurant receipts should be pitched ( or shredded) unless you can write off the expenses. The recent charge card receipts can be saved in a separate spot for the monthly reconciliation with your statement. Only keep that current to do list or grocery list handy.

Inside pocket is for my cellphone, my sunglasses, my loyalty cards and lipstick.
Do not carry your social security card, your passport, too many credit cards or too much cash.
Moving onto the wallet. Just received a new one so perfect time to redo.

Do you know what is in your billfold right now?
What if my wallet was stolen would I have the contact information? Would I remember everything in it? The first thing a thief will do is use a credit card. Important to contact your cc companies and freeze those accounts.
In my billfold, I carry only the items that I might need daily. 

My driver's license, my insurance card, my AAA card, two credit cards, my CVS card, my Walgreens card, my Panera rewards card. 

The rest of my loyalty cards, I put in a separate pocket in a billfold organizer or you could use an old Altoid tin. I pulled out the rest of my credit cards that I rarely use. I pulled out giftcards and other reward cards that I use occasionally and place in another zone or out of my purse.
I photocopied all my credit cards, front and back so I would have contact numbers if they would disappear. I keep that list in a safe spot at home.
I organize my dollar bills putting like bills in order. My Dad used to say, "if you don't take care of your money, some one else will".; I believe that I have used that line on Zach.
It is such a warm fuzzy feeling to have everything back in its place. We'll see how long it lasts!

No comments: